This is Day 25 of posting Amanda’s portrait. I keep posting these images of her because I am so afraid she will be forgotten like others who cannot speak for themselves.
I don’t want her to disappear.
Today I received a letter from Ted’s (her guardian) lawyer, announcing that he is going to transfer her case again to Arizona. The hearing is going to be on May 2, the same day my petition will be heard.
I am concerned that the judge will just shrug and transfer the case without giving any consideration to what Amanda’s wishes are.
On April 27, it will be 9 months since I have spoken with my sister. NINE MONTHS. This has never, ever happened before.
Whether Ted comes to his senses or not, and allows us to start communicating again, he can never erase the fact that he did this to us.
Anyone who would do this to a person with Down syndrome is a loser.
“I’m the guardian and you’re not.” That’s the reason her guardian gave when he refused Amanda’s request to visit me in summer 2016.
A few warning signals of guardianship abuse:
1. The guardian and/or conservator treats you as an outsider instead of a relative, friend, or loved one.
2. The guardian/conservator sees to it that your loved one doesn’t have a phone.
3. When you visit, the guardian “hovers” or even employs someone to hover so you’re not alone with your loved one.
4. You are denied input about your loved one’s care – the doctor won’t talk to you – you are shut out.
5. The guardian/conservator refuses to take your call or answer your questions.
6. Your loved one doesn’t get his/her mail.
7. If your loved one is in a nursing home, you’re only allowed to visit in the dining room or recreation room.
8. You start seeing questionable documents and realize financial accounts are closed or changed and the statements have been diverted to the guardian/conservator.
9. You discover the taxes haven’t been paid — or even filed.
10. The nursing facility tells you when you visit, you “upset” your family member or upset the staff.
11. Items are missing from your loved one’s home.
12. Your loved one appears to be more sluggish, perhaps even dazed.
The days of guardians running the show are coming to an end. There is help available. Click the link below: