For my gallery show, I ordered a few slabs of slate from SlateLady.com . It was my first time ordering from them. I was happy with the product, except that one of the holes wasn’t drilled all the way through. But that’s easy enough to fix. They come with holes so they can be hung with something like rawhide or baling twine.
I had painted on slate before, but it’s been years. My first attempt this time was this chickadee with winter berries, on a small piece, about 3×5″ The teeny, tiny detail makes for an interesting challenge on the textured surface of the slate.
Next was another small one, this lady cardinal on a wrought iron gate.
Once I got the slates, I couldn’t seem to stop painting on them. I am learning that slate has a rough side and a smooth side, and for some reason I keep opting to paint on the rough side! Duh. Also, it sucks paint like a sponge. It likes a lot of layers. Sometimes you think you are done but then your paint disappears!
Today’s project is a group of horses running in snow. This piece is 6×9″ A coat of glaze made a big difference in all of these paintings. It darkens the slate and adds a nice sheen, for a good finishing touch.
Here’s another pic of the running horses, after glaze was applied. The glare in this photo shows the bumps and ridges on the slate which makes it a challenge to paint on. However, it was fun and a nice diversion for me — so I will probably order more.